Below Market Rent
The Below Market Rent Program (BMR) is established to be affordable to low and moderate income households. It is made up of new units funded under the Action Ottawa Program of the City of Ottawa
Rents in these units are not geared to income, but are a fixed rate of up to 80% of the average market rent as posted by the Canada Mortgage and Housing Corporation (CMHC).
You must also meet the following requirements:
- All members of the household must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, Refugee or Refugee Claimant.
- No member of the household can be currently under a deportation, departure or exclusion order to leave Canada.
- At least one person in the household must be 16 years of age or older.
- No member of the household can owe money to any social housing provider.
- No member of the household can have been convicted of an offence in relation to RGI assistance or found by a court of law or the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal to have misrepresented their income for the purposes of RGI assistance.
- If the applicant owns a house, they must agree to sell it within 180 days of being housed in a BMR unit.
- Applicants must be able to live independently, and make arrangements for their own support services.
If you are selected and choose to accept a Below Market Rent unit you will be allowed to retain your application for rent-geared-to-income housing on the centralized waiting list.
A Below Market Rent application form can be obtained from The Registry office, Housing Help, Action-Logement or the office of any participating housing provider. You can also download and print the application.
Below Market Rent Providers:
- Blue Heron Coop
- Bruyère Village
- Centretown Citizens Ottawa Corporation (CCOC)
- Clarence View
- Cumberland Non-Profit Housing
- Eastern Ontario Christian Senior Citizens Housing Cooperative
- Gloucester Housing Corporation
- King’s Daughters and Sons Apartments
- McLean Coop
- Multifaith Housing Initiative
- Nepean Housing
- Ottawa Community Housing (OCH)
- The Perley and Rideau Veterans’ Health Centre Seniors’ Village
- Unity Non-Profit Housing (formerly OCISO Non-Profit Housing)