Supportive housing helps people who have difficulty living independently or maintaining their housing. It reduces isolation that is often the consequence of living with such challenges as mental illness, substance abuse and other disadvantages by providing those in need with on-site supports. Housing support services can include community referrals, assistance with life skills, counseling, crisis intervention, assistance maintaining housing and opportunities for peer support and community involvement
Supportive housing is a community-based, person-centred model of providing affordable, transitional and permanent accommodation. Housing support staff assists individual tenants in attaining their optimum quality of life and encourages the development of healthy communities.
Supportive housing communities reduce the cycles of institutionalization and homelessness among people who need assistance in maintaining independent housing.
Before your name is added to the supportive housing waiting list, there may be some ADDITIONAL STEPS to your application, such as:
- Each supportive housing provider may require more information about your needs (you may have to fill out a more detailed form with the provider)
- You may be interviewed by the supportive housing provider in order to discuss needs and requirements.
- You may be required to provide references to the supportive housing provider that will assist in determining your suitability for this type of housing.
You must also meet the following requirements:
- All members of the household must be a Canadian Citizen, Landed Immigrant, Refugee or Refugee Claimant.
- No member of the household can be currently under a deportation, departure or exclusion order to leave Canada.
- At least one person in the household must be 16 years of age or older.
- No member of the household can owe money to any social housing provider.
- No member of the household can have been convicted of an offence in relation to RGI assistance or found by a court of law or the Ontario Rental Housing Tribunal to have misrepresented their income for the purposes of RGI assistance.
If you are selected and choose to accept a Supportive Housing unit you will be allowed to retain your application for rent-geared-to-income housing on the centralized waiting list.
Supportive Housing Providers